Historic Homes & Museums
800 South Church Street
Second oldest house in Thomaston, was built in 1833 by John E. Pettigrew. It was built as a one and a half story house with a full attic. In 1840 Benjamin B. White purchased the house, and added an additional bedroom, a dining room and kitchen, and a large verandah across the back of the residence. During the 1880's the house came into the possession of the Stamps family, who lived there until 1968. This house was originally located on North Church Street and was moved in 1968 to its present location by the Upson Historical Society to save it from demolition. Open by appointment. For tours, call: 706-647-7088 or 706-646-2437.
African American Museum
The museum was established in an authentic three room "shotgun" house moved from King Avenue, an area among the first established as African American. The house is approximately 75 to 80 years old. Mrs. Frances Walker lived in this house for 70 years and raised a son, grandson, and great-grandchildren.
Open by appointment. For tours, call: 706-646-2437
R. E. Hightower, Sr. House
205 South Hightower Street
Built about 1910 as the residence of the R.E. Hightower family. Mr. Hightower was the manager and controlling stockholder in Thomaston Cotton Mills, which had been established in 1899. The house design was influenced by the Craftsman style.
This is a private residence.
317 West Main Street
Constructed in 1920 by J.W. McDaniel, this exceptionally fine example of the Neo-classical style was for many years the home of the James R. Atwater family. Atwater was a banker and successful Thomaston businessman. This is a private residence.
Sidney Barron House
505 Stewart Avenue
Perhaps dating from as early as the 1830's this is among the oldest houses in Thomaston and is a vernacular version of the Classical styles of its day, note the exterior and chimneys. This home is currently for sale.
Contact Remax In Motion, 706-647-3629