The Work Ready Initiative
The Work Ready Initiative strives to make sure that Upson County is armed with a well educated, prepared work force to face the challenges encountered in today's work and marketplace. We are happy to announce that Upson County has been certified as Work Ready Community!
The Work Ready Initiative Mission Statement:
WEDA committee (Workforce & Education Development Alliance) along with CWRC team (Certified Work Ready Community), work together to promote and develop through communication and action, a well-prepared workforce.
COMMITTEE: WORKFORCE & EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT ALLIANCE (2013 Goals)
Kay Williamson (Southern Crescent Technical College), Chair
Trennis Dumas (Dumas State Farm Agency) Vice-Chair
Mission Statement: “The Purpose of Workforce and Education Development Alliance is to promote and develop through communication and action a well-prepared workforce.”
• Support the high school and middle school graduation coaches, the volunteer community coach, and the U-L Learning Academy.
• Support efforts at ULMS and ULHS to fulfill the requirements of the BRIDGE Act (HB 400), which provides every middle and high school student with the opportunity for career advisement, exploration, and development along with other activities/tasks that foster greater student understanding of the link between education and future college and career goals.
• Promote continuation of work-based learning programs and identify, monitor and communicate local student-to-employee successes (those students who have gone through work-based learning programs at the high school, the technical college and then into the workplace)
• Collaborate with the Chamber’s Industry and Maintenance Roundtables to meet at least twice during the school year (Plan one joint meeting at ULHS and one at industry)
• Utilize Data Collection. Investigate other options of data collection for the purpose of tracking students after high school graduation.
• Continue the communication of WEDA efforts with the Chamber Board and the boards of Southern Crescent Technical College and the Thomaston-Upson School System
• Support the roles of the Southern Crescent Technical College’s High School Coordinator and the ULHS’s CTAE Pathways Coordinator as they work to prepare students for the local workforce and/or transition students to post secondary education